(Inspired by) The Makers by Jen Causey

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Every now and then I come across a website or idea or photo that just seems BIG. Photographer Jennifer Causey's latest project The Makers is all of the above. The Makers documents the lives of Brooklyn artisans (where Causey lives).

Some of my favorites are those of acclaimed flower shop (and soap makers) Saipua. I've always harbored a secret dream of opening a general store/bakery/flower shop and images like the ones above just make me dream a little harder.

P.S. I'd love to throw a little spotlight on folks making things in DC -- bakers, growers, cooks, artists, etc...if you know someone who does great work and deserves some more attention, please drop a note in the comments.

Images via The Makers by Jennifer Causey
|

9 comments:

tdclassicist said...

I can almost smell it!

Leah - The Inside Story said...

I would love to see more of these type of posts. I find it so interesting to see people at work in their creative fields, especially these flower people and I love your store idea. That would be perfect. Thanks for the creative inspiration. Leahxx

Jordan Streetman said...

I just found your blog and I absolutely love it! I am planning on moving up to the DC area after graduation in May and you only motivated me to do that even more!!!

New Follower here :)

The enchanted home said...

Wow- those pictures excited my every sense! Second, you and I are meant to be friends...I have fantasized for way long about having the cutest little store/that serves outrageous coffees/light fare/sells upscale home goods/has a bakery/ and we do jazz and author nights....kind of a bunch of things under one roof...and of course it would be decorated just like an authentic Parisian bistro...all black and white....ahhh, we can all dream, right?
Anytime I see someone realizing that dream it makes me really happy for them but stirs this little sense of renewed hope in me too that it IS possible. Will have to check them out..thanks for sharing!

Jenn @ Department of the Interior said...

Jordan -- thanks so much for visiting. You are going to LOVE Washington. Feel free to e-mail for recommendations!

Jenn @ Department of the Interior said...

Enchanted -- Love what you're saying about how seeing someone else do it makes it feel a little less like dreaming and a little more like possibility.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for both of us!

ruffledrose.com said...

What a beautiful project! I cannot wait to check out more of her work.

Hope you're having a great week, Jenn!

SHHH MY DARLING said...

Beautiful!

nikki said...

Ah, we should totally take a flower class...